SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Authorities in Northern California said Wednesday they have arrested three teenage boys involved in violent attacks against Donald Trump supporters after a political rally last week in San Jose.
One of the juvenile suspects was arrested for felony assault with a deadly weapon after he was recorded on video using a blunt object to strike a man who is then seen bleeding from the head, the San Jose Police Department said in a statement.
Police arrested two more suspects who were caught on video physically assaulting a man, chasing him and tackling him to the ground. One was arrested for felony assault with a deadly weapon and the other for misdemeanor battery, the department said.
The suspects’ names were not released because they are minors.
The arrests come after mounting criticism of the city of San Jose and its police department for what some say was a tepid and tardy response to attacks on Trump supporters after a June 2 political rally.
On Tuesday, authorities identified four men arrested the day of the rally as Ahmed Abdirahman, 19, and Robert Robert Trillo, 18, on suspicion of felony assault with a deadly weapon and Michael Kitaigorodsky, 19, on suspicion of refusal to disperse. A fourth man, Antonio Fernandez, 19, was arrested and charged with assault on a peace officer.