RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A judge has told North Carolina’s second-largest county to hold local elections in November under school board and commissioner district boundaries approved in 2011 because an appeals court threw out more recent lines drawn by Republicans in the General Assembly.
U.S. District Judge James Dever directed Tuesday how Wake County elections would be carried out after taking in advice from the state and Wake elections boards, legislative leaders and local voters who sued over the most recent maps.
The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last month struck down the boundaries drawn by legislators because the court said the lines violated the state and federal constitution.
Dever says the 2011 boundaries are viable because they already are coded in computers of the Wake elections board and can be implemented immediately.