HERTFORD, N.C. (AP) — A sexual abuse case involving six North Carolina brothers and their parents has ended with the last family member being sentenced to more than 18 years behind bars.
WAVY-TV reports (http://bit.ly/29SJLDC) 21-year-old Aaron Jackson was sentenced Wednesday in Perquimans County court after he was found guilty of second-degree sexual abuse. He was the only one among the brothers and parents to reject a plea deal and go to trial.
The victim, Aaron Jackson and Aaron’s twin brother, Benjamin, testified during the trial, which began Monday. Perquimans County District Attorney Andrew Womble said he is “saddened the victim had to come back and relive the events. He said was satisfied with the verdict and sentencing.
“You have my greatest empathies. I hope that you can find a peace,” Judge Jerry Tillett told the victim.
Aaron Jackson got the stiffest sentence of any of the family. His offenses were “made egregious by allegations that it was (the victim’s) fault, which it absolutely is not,” the judge said.
None of the Jackson brothers present would comment after the trial. A family friend who sat with the brothers during the trial, Lara Carraparuccia, blamed internet in the home for what happened, saying it “brought pornography into their home, and exposed them all to pornography at a very young age.”
The brothers and their parents were arrested in 2014 following an investigation that began with the confession of the oldest brother to his minister. The victim was attacked from the time she was 4 years old until she was about 14 — from 2003 through 2012, authorities have said.
The parents, John and Nita Jackson, pleaded guilty to felony sex abuse and accessory last year. Authorities said the couple knew about the abuse at the time.
The state Corrections Department website shows the parents are still serving their sentences, as are three of the brothers. Two brothers have been released, according to the website.