WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on Campaign 2016 ahead of the Republican and Democratic National conventions (all times EDT):
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence quickly exited a planned speaking event in Indianapolis shortly after releasing details about a new economic development initiative.
The Republican governor is considered a top contender to become Donald Trump’s vice president pick. Pence and his entourage swiftly exited the building and climbed into a waiting motorcade.
His office and his re-election campaign have not released details of any other planned events after several days of repeated public appearances.
Senior U.S. national security officials say they are worried about the potential for violence at the Republican National Convention to be held in Cleveland next week.
During congressional testimony Thursday, Homeland Security Secretary Jeh (jay) Johnson says he’s concerned that demonstrations outside the convention hall may get out of hand.
Johnson says he will be inspecting the security around the convention hall during a visit Friday. He says he says similar concerns about the Democratic convention to be held in Philadelphia. He’ll be visiting that site next week.
Johnson tells the House Homeland Security Committee there will be 4,000 U.S. government security personnel in Cleveland.
FBI Director James Comey says anytime there is a large, national event there is concern that radical people and groups may be drawn to it.
A pivotal committee of delegates at the Republican National Convention has abruptly taken a recess of several hours, just as it was beginning to consider rules changes proposed by conservatives and foes of presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump.
Some delegates said the Trump campaign and top GOP officials were trying to see if they could strike a compromise with conservatives trying to let delegates back any candidate they want and offering other rules changes.
A leader of those conservatives is Ken Cuccinelli, who was a campaign adviser to Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s now abandoned presidential campaign. GOP Chairman Reince Priebus and top Trump campaign officials were also in the convention center.
Newt Gingrich says he expects to hear from Donald Trump about his vice presidential decision as early as Thursday afternoon.
In a brief interview with The Associated Press, Gingrich says he expects the decision sometime after 1pm. He says he had not heard from the Trump campaign Thursday morning.
Gingrich, the former House speaker, is among Trump’s top choices, along with Indiana Gov. Mike Pence and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.
Gingrich praised Trump for running a “very fair, open process” and said he looked forward to the businessman’s decision.
Trump and his running mate will make their first joint appearance Friday in New York.
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg says she regrets her “ill-advised” public criticism of Donald Trump.
Ginsburg says in a statement issued by the court on Thursday that judges should avoid commenting on a candidate for public office. She promises to be more circumspect in the future.
Ginsburg told The Associated Press last week that she did not want to think about the prospect of Trump winning the presidency. She escalated her criticism in subsequent media interviews.
She came under attack for her comments in recent days, leading to Thursday’s statement.
Donald Trump’s campaign and party leaders seem poised to defeat GOP renegades trying to derail the billionaire’s presidential nomination. But it’s unclear they’ll prevail before the dispute flares into a potentially angry and embarrassing floor fight next week.
The two sides on Thursday were beginning what could be a two-day faceoff at early meetings of the convention’s rules committee. That panel’s initial votes are expected to demonstrate how firmly Trump and GOP Chairman Reince Priebus control the convention, which meets in full next week.