HAMLET — Police say they have found one suspect in a shooting last week that sent a 65-year-old man to the hospital.
Keven Shamek Blue, 20, of Washington Avenue in Hamlet, is facing two counts of attempted first-degree murder and three counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill after investigators with the Hamlet Police Department say he and another suspect opened fire at five people on a Wilmington Street porch just before 9:30 p.m. on March 4.
Investigators say Blue’s intended target was not injured, but another man was shot once in the abdomen. The unnamed victim remains in an undisclosed hospital.
Witnesses at the scene told investigators they saw two black men walking down Pine Street before the shooting began. Police say 16 casings were recovered from the scene.
Patrol officers responding to the call also found narcotics at the scene.
Blue was arrested Sunday and booked into the Richmond County Jail under a $250,000 secured bond. He is scheduled to appear in court March 23.
Police are still trying to identify and locate the second suspect.
Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Hamlet Police Department at 910-582-2551 or Richmond County Crime Stoppers at 910-997-5454.
Records with the N.C. Department of Public Safety Division of Adult Correction show Blue was convicted last September on a misdemeanor charge of carrying a concealed weapon. He received a 12-month suspended sentence.
In 2014, Blue was convicted on a felony charge of conspiracy to commit larceny after breaking and entering.
Investigators have also charged a second man they say was involved in break-in at the city shop last Monday.
Timothy Landon Davis Jr., 26, of Peggy Mill Road, is accused of conspiring with 29-year-old Tristan Johnson in the theft of city-owned property.
On the morning of March 6, city workers reported that the city shop had broken into and that a pickup truck and equipment — including a shop fan, band saw and welder —had been stolen, Detective Lt. Randy Dover told the Daily Journal last week.
The investigation led police to consider 29-year-old Tristan Tyler Johnson as a suspect.
Dover said Johnson was taken in for questioning but wouldn’t talk, but they had found a small amount of marijuana in his possession.
While following up on leads, Dover said police discovered the Mercedes Johnson was driving had been stolen from Charlotte — and the city’s welder was in the back seat. He added that more stolen property was recovered at a home in the Hamlet city limits.
Online court records show Johnson is charged with one felony count each of: breaking and/or entering; larceny after breaking and entering; and larceny of a motor vehicle.
He is also facing a charge of misdemeanor larceny, simple possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Both men are facing a felony charge of conspiracy to break and enter a building to commit larceny.
Davis was given a $5,000 unsecured bond. Johnson is still in jail under a $20,500 secured bond.
Dover said investigators in Mecklenburg County are planning to bring charges against Johnson for the stolen car, but online court records show he has not yet been served.
All defendants facing criminal charges are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.
State records show Johnson’s first conviction was for larceny from person in 2007.
His probation on that conviction was revoked and in 2009, he went to prison following convictions of driving under the age of 21 consuming a controlled substance and a felony count of possessing stolen goods.
The following year, he again received probation after being convicted of breaking and entering vehicles and larceny after breaking and entering. That probation, too, was revoked when Johnson was later convicted in Mecklenburg County of common law robbery.
Reach William R. Toler at 910-817-2675 and follow him on Twitter @William_r_toler.