SOUTHERN PINES — Police are searching for a man they say made vague threats against law enforcement officers.
According to Capt. Charles Campbell of the Southern Pines Police Department, 23-year-old Cody Seth Travis, of Pine Lane in Southern Pines, is accused of writing the following message on his Facebook page Sunday:
“Smmfh. Wish I could kill every f—-in cop there is. The(y’re) f—-in useless to the world if you ask me.”
Investigators discovered the post Sunday while doing a routine check of social media, Campbell said.
“The manner in which he wrote it was not specific,” he said. “Given the national events…it did kinda spark interest.”
Because of Travis’ privacy settings, the Daily Journal could not verify the post.
The post was allegedly made the same day three officers were killed, and three others injured, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The attack was reportedly carried out by former Marine Gavin Long on his 29th birthday, according to the Associated Press.
Earlier this month, 12 officers were shot in Dallas, Texas, five fatally. That shooter was identified as Army veteran Micah Johnson.
The shootings were reportedly in response to two recent shootings by law enforcement officers.
Travis has a history of drug- and weapons-related arrests, and police say he is to be considered armed and dangerous.
Police currently have an outstanding warrant for Travis on a charge of obtaining property by false pretenses, Campbell said.
As for the alleged threats, Campbell said the matter is still under investigation and any charges will be made in consultation with the District Attorney’s office.
Investigators believe Travis may be in the Hoffman area.
Campbell added that Travis had posted on Facebook Monday morning that he had planned to turn himself in, but had not done so by that afternoon.
“We’re hoping he’ll turn himself in, eventually,” he said.
Records with the N.C. Court System show Travis currently has several pending charges including: two felony counts of aiding and abetting obtaining property by false pretenses; one count of misdemeanor larceny; and one misdemeanor count of second-degree trespassing.
He was first convicted in 2011 on a felony charge of possessing stolen goods, according to records with the N.C. Department of Public Safety Division of Adult Correction.
In 2014, he was given a suspended sentence and 30 months of probation after being convicted on felony charges of possession of a Schedule II controlled substance, selling a Schedule VI controlled substance and delivering or selling a Schedule II controlled substance.
The following year he was sentenced to 36 months of probation on an obtaining property by false pretenses charge.
Anyone with knowledge of Travis’ whereabouts is encouraged to call the Southern Pines Police Department at 910-692-7031 or dial 911.
All defendants facing criminal charges are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.
Reach William R. Toler at 910-817-2675 and follow him on Twitter @William_r_toler.